Meatballs are always a great party option and my friend first made these for a party where they were the first thing to be gobbled by everyone. These ones came from a Thai inspired meatloaf recipe – yes I know that is totally in-authentic but they are total crowd pleasers.
They are a great make-ahead in a big batch and can be frozen too. Any leftovers are great stirred through a herb-flecked broth with noodles, chili and lime. Or stuff them into a baguette with salad and sweet chili sauce.
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup milk
2 pounds ground turkey thigh
1/4 cup sliced scallions [spring onions]
1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari (or half soy sauce and half fish sauce)
1x 8 ounce can drained, water chestnuts, chopped into small pea-sized pieces
1 clove garlic, grated with a Microplane
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- Preheat to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil
- Combine the panko breadcrumbs, ground turkey, scallions, soy sauce, water chestnuts, garlic and egg
- Shape into either 6 “mini meatloaves” or approximately 50-60 1-inch meatballs. Place on the baking sheet
- In a bowl, stir together the ketchup and chili sauce. Using a pastry brush, coat your meatloaves or meatballs with the mixture.
- Bake, coating with the remaining glaze halfway through. Meatballs take approximately 20 minutes, mini meatloaves 30-35 minutes.