These healthy veg-packed nachos are one of our favourite dinners and have the thumbs up from various children visitors. Always a good sign. You can make them in less then 15 minutes by grabbing these ingredients from your freezer:
- a serving of my sweet potato and black bean chilli,
- a couple of wholemeal tortilla wraps,
- an avocado (yep you can buy frozen avocado now – amazing)
- some grated cheese (which you can grate and then freeze and use from frozen)
If you follow me you’ll know I’m a huge fan of using my freezer so that I can cook a big batch of something once and eat multiple meals from it. Read all my freezer filler tips here along with loads of other recipes that make the most of a well stocked freezer.
To make nachos
- Use scissors to cut the frozen tortillas into triangles and lay them on a baking sheet. To ensure everything can be spread out enough, I use one tray for 2 servings. So if you’re cooking for 4 people, make 2 trays.
- Bake them at 200°C (180°C fan) or 400°F (350°C convection) for 10 minutes while you microwave the chilli until it is piping hot.
- Blob the chilli over the surface of the tortillas along with grated cheese and pop it back in the oven for around 5 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and the chips are crisp.
- Finish off by sprinkling the surface with a squeeze of lime, some sliced avocado and a drizzle of natural yoghurt. You may want to add some chopped chilis and chopped coriander (cilantro) too. I usually plonk the tray on the table and let everyone dig in to save washing, because allowing a occasional feral table manners usually distracts children from the veg.