This frozen berries with white chocolate sauce is a showstopper dessert, influenced by the one originally served at Le Caprice in London (where it was apparently Princess Diana’s favourite dessert). Since then it has cropped up on menus all over England and with good reason. It is easy to make mid-week, and is something my children make with me as a treat, but is also a great one for entertaining too.
The recipe is so easy to remember, equal parts of cream and chocolate and roughly a handful of berries per person. It is also a really easy dessert to take to someones house if you’ve offered to bring something but haven’t any time to prep it ahead. Just pack your jug, spatula, whisk then grab the ingredients on the way to their house and you’re good to go.
I recommend serving this on individual plates and then giving everyone the jug of chocolate sauce to pour over by themselves. This needs to be eaten straight away to fully appreciate the combination of frozen berries, hot sauce and how the sauce thickens as it hits the cold of the berries.
Don’t be tempted to buy the ready mixed frozen berries, tempting as it may seem. The cherries and strawberries they often contain just don’t taste good with this. Just buy a bag each of frozen raspberries and blueberries and mix them yourself.
Active prep time: 5 minutes. Cooking time: 3-5 minutes
225g (8oz) frozen raspberries
225g (8oz) frozen blueberries
300g (10.5oz or 1 and ¼ cups) good white chocolate chips or broken up bar of Green and Black’s white chocolate (Stateside I prefer Ghirardelli brand)
300ml (10.5oz or 1 and ¼ cups) double cream (heavy whipping cream in the US)
A sprinkle of Maldon sea salt flakes
- Put your serving plates in the freezer.
- Combine the chocolate and cream in a measuring jug and microwave for around 4 minutes or until the chocolate has almost melted. Any small bits will continue to melt as you stir it.
- Whisk the sauce in the jug to incorporate the chocolate fully.
- Scatter the frozen berries on a cold plate and pour the sauce over as everyone is about to eat then sprinkle a few Maldon sea salt flakes on top. The salt balances the sweetness beautifully.
- Be fully prepared to watch your family and friends lick their plates.
You can now buy the equipment I use in this recipe through my shop. I’ve spent years testing my favourite bits of equipment so rest-assured that whatever I recommend is the best tool for the job and will give you great results without cluttering your kitchen with unused tools.
Get more like this
Sign up for my monthly meal plan and recipe service here.